William Murray MA
1874-1953

Teacher and Educationist
Director of Wm Murray & Sons Ltd Electric Bakery, Fochabers
Chairman of Fochabers District Council


Mr & Mrs Murray

After studying at the University of Aberdeen, William took up a teaching post in Wick before applying for a post in South Africa. Once settled in his new surroundings of Fauriesmith, an isolated community in the Orange Free State, he sent for his young bride-to-be, Georgina Nicol, who he had met in Wick. During their many years in South Africa, they had two children, William and Sheila.

After the First World War, William and his family returned to Fochabers and he joined his brothers, Alec, Gordon and Jimmy in running the family business. Murray's was the first 'electric bakery' in Scotland and as the business developed, they rapidly expanded their business to the whole of the north of Scotland. William was keenly involved in community affairs and in his role as County Councillor, he continued to ensure that amenities were created and improved for the village. William's talent as a singer was noted not only the Church choir but also in the many operettas staged in Fochabers at this time. After the Second World War, the bakery continued to flourish but the Murray brothers were nearing the golden age of retirement. The next generation of Murrays had chosen to follow their own professions and the family business was finally sold to Beatties of Inverness. The business continued to operate until the early 1970's.